Here are 5 Tips for Exploring Your Senior Housing Options
1) Find out how much debt is on the retirement community Does it have a mortgage with an interest payment every month? Some communities carry $25M-$50M of debt. That amount of debt can make a BIG difference in how your monthly payments are increased year after year. Some communities raise their rates 10% a year.
Freedom Village is very proud of the fact that no bank holds a mortgage against us. This allows us to keep our monthly fees low.
2) Do vibrant people live there? Most seniors don’t want to live with a bunch of old people. Ask to see the community’s calendar. Ask how many of their residents drive. Do they have live entertainment on a regular basis? Is there a nice variety of excursions and resident trips?
Freedom Village residents have many choices every day. Our newly remodeled, heated swimming pool offers aqua classes 6-days a week. We have weekly putting tournaments, weekly socials, live entertainment, a variety of wellness classes, a health club with state-of-the-art exercise equipment, a variety of card games, excursions to fun locations, life-long learning classes, volunteer opportunities and weekly shopping adventures.
3) As people age they cook less – FOOD is important! Try the food! How many dining venues does the community offer? Most places only have one or two, and dining can become boring for the residents.
Freedom Village has four dining venues: The Freedom Café is open for breakfast and lunch, our La Cheminee Dining Room is open for lunch and dinner six days a week and on Sunday it offers a fabulous brunch with omelets cooked to order. The Bistro and Garden Café both feature chefs preparing gourmet delights live in front of residents and guests. Our award-winning Executive Chef Hugo has created different menus for each restaurant! He has won three gold medals and is considered one of the best chefs in Southern California.
4) Longevity of Staff – Please ask! If you don’t, they won’t tell! It’s not unusual with changes in ownership and management of senior communities to see high turnover in key positions.
Here at Freedom Village, our Executive Director, Marianne Casino has worked for the company for 29 years, our Director of Activities has been with us since we opened our doors 30 years ago, Our Director of Health Services has been here for 24 years and our Director of Transportation has worked here for 28 years. There are over 50 employees that have been working for Freedom Village for more than 10 years. EXPERIENCE COUNTS.
5) Ask About a Guarantee of Care – Over the years, there have been cases when Freedom Village residents have run out of their assets. This happens when a resident lives at a higher level of care for longer than anticipated. In rental communities, when this happens, you would be asked to leave or given a 30-day notice.
Freedom Village offers a guarantee of care for life, if you outlive your resources through no fault of your own. Our residents will always have a home and the care they need.
- Ask how much debt is on the community.
- Make sure it is a fun and vibrant community – ask for an calendar
- Try the food (more than once), make sure there is variety on the menu and multiple restaurants.
- Ask how long the majority of the staff has worked there?
- Do they offer a guarantee of care for the rest of your life?